UPDATE: Kelly’s stand-out performance earns her nods from the Ovation, BroadwayWorld and Scenie Awards.
UPDATE: After 3 extensions and 77 performances, The Boy From Oz closed on 8.21.16. Every performance SOLD OUT.
Critical and audience response to The Boy From Oz was nothing short of overwhelming 🙂 I’m intensely grateful to have been a part of this production.
- OVATION RECOMMENDED!
- Los Angeles Times – “…the wonderful Kelly Lester … nuanced and invested, provides the show’s poignant heart.”
- The Los Angeles Post – “Kelly Lester … brings down the house.”
- Tin Pan LA – “Peter Allen’s mother Marion played by Kelly Lester offers a sincere and moving performance in all her appearances throughout the story, finally singing towards the end in “Don’t Cry Out Loud,” showing her sensational voice in this climactic song.
- Buck-ing Trends – “Kelly Lester’s … 11 O’clock undertaking “Don’t Cry Out Loud” is very much worth waiting for—delivered with such raw intensity and conviction it’s practically devastating.”
- StageSceneLA – “… Lester’s warm and winning Marion … scores the evening’s loudest cheers with a gorgeous, gut-wrenching “Don’t Cry Out Loud”…”
- Gia on the Move – “Kelly Lester is outstanding… Her heartbreaking anthem “Don’t Cry Out Loud” not only informs the story, it dares the audience, such power consumes her rendition.”
- Haines His Way – “Lester knocks it out of the park.”
- Broadway World – “Lester as his mom… sensational.”
- Edge Media Network – “Lester … really shines …”
- Musicals in LA
- Stage and Cinema
“…the whole production deserves a standing ovation … an unalloyed triumph. Go.” – The Los Angeles Post
“In a spectacular West Coast premiere at Celebration Theatre, OZ will most likely sell out and extend through the summer. It’s that good!” – Broadway World
I am THRILLED to be cast as Marion Woolnough (Peter Allen’s mother) in the west coast premier of The Boy from Oz, the musical biography of Australian entertainer and songwriter Peter Allen. The show opens on April 29, 2016 at Celebration Theatre in Los Angeles.
I’ll sing “Don’t Cry Out Loud” (a smash hit for Melissa Manchester), the show’s 11 o’clock number.
THE BOY FROM OZ was a huge Australian success that found its way to Broadway. Nominated for 5 Tony Awards in 2004, including Best Musical, it won Best Actor in a Musical (Hugh Jackman). It focuses on Peter Allen’s extraordinary life, from his birth in 1944 and humble beginnings, to his meteoric rise to fame as an international star. The story covers Peter’s life and career in Australia and the United States, as well as his relationships with the legendary singing stars Judy Garland and Liza Minnelli.
Directed by Michael Shepperd. Read a wonderful interview with “Shep” about our production HERE.
(FYI – parking can be difficult around Celebration Theatre, so plan to come early. Maybe have a bite to eat first. HERE are some great choices in the area.)
Click HERE for more info and to purchase tickets.